Monday, September 14, 2015

Blog Post 2

“We do not really see with our eyes or hear through our ears, but through our beliefs.” (Curtis and Carter, 2000, p. 9). I think this is a very accurate statement. Often times, we are blind to what is actually happening around us because we are so caught up in what we already believe that we don't want to see anything different. It is important, especially in the field of education, to keep an open mind in order to work well with your students and to understand where they are coming from. In teaching, pushing aside what you already think will force you to think in new and creative ways, which will be good for you as well as set a great example for your students. When you push aside what you already know and believe in, you open yourself up to more knowledge and understanding. In my experience, when I have pushed aside my opinions and beliefs when I am experiencing something new, I am able to fully experience and enjoy whatever it is I am doing to the fullest, because I have let go of what I already thought. In the field of education it is especially important not to hold on to preconceived ideas about students based on their backgrounds or behavior, because if you already believe something to be true about them then students will never have a chance to improve. Beliefs are an important part of who a person is, but they should not be so powerful that they blind us from seeing anything else.                                                                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment