Thursday, October 8, 2015

Blog Post 5

Rofes discusses that the difference between liberal and radical conceptualizations addressing homophobia and heterosexism in k-12 schools is: liberal conceptualizations address victimhood, while radical conceptualizations are an act of resistance to societal pressure. An example of a liberal conceptualization from my high school was how the administration intervened whenever there was a bullying issue it was taken care of immediately and resolved with all who were involved. An example of a radical conceptualization from my high school is that same-sex couples openly held hands, even though it was a Catholic school. Rofes believes children should be able to be free and able to openly explore their sexuality. Liberal and radical distinctions addressing homophobia and heterosexism help understand childhood because we as a society have to be aware of children an all the confusion of their sexuality as they mature. Childhood, particularly during puberty, is a time that children need support and to be able to explore their sexuality without any judgment from society. I believe that children should be free to be themselves without judgment. I hope that the school I teach at in the future is accepting of all children, regardless of their sexual preferences, and is a very open and comfortable environment. I think as more and more time goes on more schools will be more open to and comfortable with children who have different sexualities. In my own classroom I will make sure that all of my students feel comfortable an safe enough to truly express themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment