Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Field Blog: Gearity School

My experience at Gearity School was overall pretty good. I observed in a kindergarten classroom. The main teacher was very good with the students and was patient and kind; the aid, on the other hand, constantly had something to yell at the children about. She did not offer them praise or encouragement, but really tore them down for little mistakes that they made. This made me not enjoy the experience very much, she had a very negative impact on the room.  This trip also reinforced my thought that I would prefer to teach 2nd or 3rd grade; although the kids were adorable, I think they might be too dependent on me for help. I think this was a good experience in the sense that it helped direct me to what I really want to teach. I think I probably would have enjoyed the class better if I had not been so distracted by the constant yelling from the aid. I thought the school in general was very good, it seemed like there were a lot of different programs for all different kinds of students in order to meet each student's needs. The school had lots of colorful decorations to make it seem like a happier place to be, as did the kindergarten classroom that I observed in. I think that colorful posters and drawings can make any place seem more welcoming and happy, and that it definitely provides a more positive learning environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment