Thursday, November 19, 2015

Field Blog Post 9

For my last day in Mrs. Schetter's class at Gesu I got to sit in on a science and social studies class. In social studies, the kids presented their Native American projects. After each child spoke, Mrs. Schetter had the other students raise their hands to see what they learned from the presentation. I thought this was a very good idea because it ensured the kids would pay attention to the student presenting, rather than having their minds be elsewhere while the presentations were happening. Next, I switched with those students and went to a science class where they were observing rocks that they brought in. They answered questions about their own individual rock, and were asked to describe it. Then, they got in random groups and put all their rocks in the middle of the desks. Each student read their description of their rock, while the other students tried to figure out which rock was being described to them. I thought this was a good idea because it engaged the students in a fun way while also forcing them to use scientific terms they had already learned in order to describe their rock. After that, I went with the kids to hear them sing Christmas songs for their upcoming Christmas concert in December. It was fun to see them all getting excited and into the songs. I am so grateful that I got the opportunity to observe in Mrs. Schetter's classroom over the past few weeks. It was an amazing experience and really reinforced my desire to someday become a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment